Kelvin Marte Scouting Report (2009)
Listed as a 6'0" righty on many sites, I was a bit surprised to see a small, lefty take the mound for the GreenJackets. Information on Marte is hard to find, but his 2.53 ERA over two levels in 2008 including a 41/14 K/BB ratio was deserving of a closer look. Currently 21 1/2, Marte has been on the minor league disabled list for three weeks. At the time of his injury, Marte had a 3.00 ERA in five starts with a 11/8 K/BB ratio in 21 innings. Those numbers don't tell the whole story, however, as Marte held opponents scoreless in four of his five outings.
- Well under 6'; Likely in the 5'9" range
- Medium build; Very little in the way of physical projection
- 88-90 in the first inning; Worked fastball in and out with some effectiveness
- Climbed the ladder with a 3 pitch strikeout; Fastballs registered 87-88-89 consecutively
- From third inning on, fastball dropped to 85-87 MPH
- Threw curve/slurve at 76 MPH
- Hung a number of breaking balls to start the game
- Changeup 80-82 MPH; Late drop and fade; Kept the ball low and outside well; Out pitch?
- Threw too many pitches; Struggled with efficiency throughout