Abraham Almonte Scouting Report (2008)
Almonte signed with the Yankees in 2005 as an IFA and finished the season with a .228/.303/.359 line with 29 stolen bases while manning center field for Charleston. Only 19, he still has room for improvement, but I was left underwhelmed by his performance. The first comparison to enter my mind was a bulked up Timo Perez which is not particularly exciting.
- Listed height/weight of 5'9" 205 looked about right
- Compact, sturdy frame
- Bat speed seemed slow
- Baseball IQ/focus lacking
- Struck out on three pitches first at bat
- Called out for hitting out of order: Hadn't seen that since little league
- Turned on a batting practice fastball for a home run just inside the right field foul pole
To his credit, he was named a mid-season all star before finishing under the Mendoza line during the second half. Maybe he was injured, or just tired, but I saw a player who deserves to repeat the level instead of advancing to the FSL with his more notable teammates.